Saturday, January 28, 2012

The Things I've Learned from Fasting Facebook

I have fasted from Facebook for about a month.  It didn't start out as a spiritual fast--or I wouldn't have broadcast that I was fasting.  I was fasting to break a bad habit.  I knew things were out of balance and I needed to make some changes.  What I didn't realize was just how spiritual my problem really was.

My life was totally out of balance.  I was depending on Facebook to feed me--information and affirmation.   I was spending more time with friends in the cyber world than I was in the real world.   So as I gave up Facebook, I had more time...and energy.  Seriously.  I complained of being tired all the time.  I would be so tired that I'd come home, cook/eat supper, get in my pajamas and sit on my bed and interact with 969 "friends" on Facebook.  And I'd go to bed exhausted.

In the month without Facebook, I haven't had much time in the evenings to myself.  I've helped a friend paint her house every day for over a week, cooked dinner for friends, gone to the movie with friends, had family visiting, spent time praying with friends, visited family, planned a bridal shower, and other things that I can't even remember right now.  The main thing is that my relationship with God has grown.  I've spent more time with Him and He's had the opportunity to point out things which were out of balance in my life.

I guess you could say that I've been involved with friends and family face-to-face.   And it's been much more rewarding.  I could know about and pray about the needs I saw on Facebook, but I found myself overwhelmed.  I'm not sure I was created to carry that many burdens.  If you think about Jesus closely investing himself in others--it was with 12 other people face-to-face.

I've had more energy and have rested better at night.  I had no idea that my surfing the net was actually exhausting me.  But it was.  I've also been much more focused.  I had no idea how distracted I really was.

Am I giving up Facebook?  I don't know.  I do know I can't go back to the way I was misusing it.  It was feeding the wrong part of me.  And as much as I love being in contact with so many people who have been a part of my life over the span of 56 years, I know my world is really meant to be a much smaller and quieter place.  And the most important relationships in my world can't be neglected.

3 comments:

Marcy Faye Hallden said...

I've been thinking of giving up on Facebook too. Not sure what it will look like, but now that our computer is in the kitchen, it seems like every time I come by, I stop to check Facebook, and it ends up taking WAY too much of my time too.

Kara said...

You have inspired me. Im guilty of getting on fb from my phone (Im never on my pc anymore). I guess my excuse was that I needed interaction since Im home all day without much adult interaction. I have made a change since your initial post, I read from my Bible before I would get on. That convicted me. I need to get out more and make new friends,... Thanks for your post. I've been anxiously awaiting for what you learned.

Ronnie said...

Such great insight and truth!!! I agree - we are to spend more time face to face than in cyber space. A good balance is so essential. For me, although honestly I have fallen from this original call, God laid on my heart that FB was a way to reach out and encourage and uplift others through scripture, words and just letting them know someone cared. Sadly though, over the past few months I have lost sight of that original call of the Lord and have not utilized it for that purpose...I need to get back to that! Thanks for putting it back in place and by the way - I have missed your blog more than FB!!