Sunday, June 26, 2011

Drought




I've seen something this summer I've never seen in my lifetime---a real, live (dead?) drought!  Today, Borger has reached the record high of 113 degrees.  I've never seen that in my lifetime, either.  I'd say since March, we've only had a few days without a gusty wind----sometimes in excess of 70 mph.  It's blowing again today.   In fact, something seems wrong now if we don't hear the wind!  Yesterday, on Facebook, our local news channel put up a weather forecast for today.  They only showed a picture---of a blow dryer.  That pretty much sums it up!  Hot and windy.

I've also watched the progression of yards in our area.  They've gone from dying grass to weedy dirt to plain ol' dirt.  I would never have believed how quickly you could lose a yard!  There's one yard down the street from us which belonged to some much-loved friends of ours.  The people who purchased it began to let the weeds take over the summer they bought it.  Our hearts were broken.  That yard was always perfect.  And now...it looks like a scene from Ethiopia.  Unbelievable.

I began going to Andy's mother's house to water her yard.  She's afraid to water because she's afraid she'll trip over the ruts in the yard and fall.  But she was beginning to lose all of her grass.  We told her she had to water it or she'd only have dirt left.  We don't water much, but enough to sustain it.

Yesterday, I began to see the spiritual parallel.  If we're not watering our spirits, we're going to dry up and die.  We have to come to the Fountain of Life and be nurtured.  And it's amazing how quickly death comes.  We don't find life in facebook, television, video games, etc., etc.

Seek sustenance!  Water your fields with the water of the Word.  Drink deeply from His well.  And then pour into others who need it.

"If I shut up heaven so no rain falls, or if I command locusts to devour the land, or if I send pestilence among My people, If My people, who are called by My name, shall humble themselves, pray, seek, crave, and require of necessity My face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven, forgive their sin, and heal their land."  II Chronicles 7:13-14

1 comment:

Tammy said...

Becky, i have heard so many people say that in their lifetime, they have NEVER seen it this dry for this long either. any water we put on the yard, i feel like the wind comes in behind the watering to just suck the life out of it.
when i heard 30% chance of rain for today/night i was so excited. so far nothing, but the night is not over :)