Tuesday, May 10, 2011

The Word of Life

The spoken word is so important.  Proverbs 18:21 says, "Death and life are in the power of the tongue..."  In Genesis 1, one of the first recorded things God did was to speak light into existence.  He spoke...and it was.  It was life.  Each act of creation following that involved God speaking.

If you read my blog yesterday, you know I was talking about speaking the Word of God aloud--and how it equips the Spirit of God with the Sword of the Spirit.  In that, I'm not saying that we speak and create what we want.  Oh no.  We have to come in agreement with the Spirit of God and the Word of God.  God already has a plan.  A good plan.  And one with which I must come in agreement.  It's not me deciding I want a Mercedes and quoting a part of Philippians 4:12, "and I know also how to enjoy plenty and live in abundance..."  If I'm wanting a Mercedes, I need to go to God and ask if that's His will for my life.

Faith comes by hearing the Word (rhema--spoken word) of God.  I have a dear friend who is angry with God.  She "believed" years ago that God was going to heal someone and He didn't.  But faith (or belief) isn't us speaking our word and blindly believing for it.  It's hearing God and then taking Him at His Word.  If you study Hebrews 11 (the faith chapter), you will notice that each person mentioned heard God and then believed.  That's faith.

God still speaks.  But we must be tuned in to hear His voice.  One day, I was walking down a street talking to God.  He stopped me and asked me (I don't hear an audible voice...but a gentle voice in my spirit), "What do you hear?"  I began naming the things I heard:  a car, a lawn mower, kids laughing, dogs barking, a motorcycle, birds, etc., etc."  And then He asked, "Were they making noise a moment ago?"  "Yes," I replied.  "Then why didn't you hear them?," He asked.  "Because I wasn't tuned in!"  God is speaking now one way and now another though man may not perceive it."  Job 33:14.

I've meditated on this all day.  And as I picked up my Bible tonight to continue where I'm reading, I read this:  "[WE ARE writing] about the Word of Life [in] Him Who existed from the beginning, Whom we have heard, Whom we have seen with our [own] eyes, Whom we have gazed upon [for ourselves] and have touched with our [own] hands."  I John 1:1.  The Word of Life.  That's who Jesus is.  The Word made flesh.  The spoken Word.  When we come in agreement with God and speak His Word---that's why there's power!  The Spirit is wielding Himself into a situation.  The One who has all power over our enemy.

No comments: