Monday, May 30, 2011

The Pianist

We had a tragedy last night.  I told the kids we'd have a picnic in front of the TV and watch an episode of Little House on the Prairie while we chowed down on hotdogs and mac & cheese.  It was going well until about half-way through the story.  It was a very sad episode without a happy ending.  (I sure didn't remember any Little House without a happy ending!!)  I was trying to explain the story line and reassure the kids it wouldn't happen to them and that God had a good plan for their lives (yep---that intense!).  I started another episode hoping to redeem the night and the next episode was scary!!  So I turned it off and we watched cartoons for a bit--hoping we wouldn't have nightmares.  Everyone had settled down and it looked like the night was redeemed. 

Now what you have to know is that Josiah is our little pianist.  He plays by ear and even plays with 2 hands (he's 6 years old).  As he watches TV, he hears intervals and chords in the music and has to run to the piano and figure it out.  So after our horrible Little House experience (and everyone is completely over the sad/scary experience), Josiah tells me he wants to play something for me.  Ta-Dah!  The Little House theme song.  Ahhhhhh!!!!!

We only had a small meltdown and everyone got hugs and thankfully slept through the night.


I wish I'd brought my video camera to record this stinker.  He's very gifted.  His daddy is also giving him piano lessons.  The apple doesn't fall far from the tree.


He's totally indiscriminate.  He plays the keyboard just as well.  In fact, he turns on the rhythms and adds his own touch to it.  And he's totally oblivious to all else going on around him.   During church yesterday, he heard an interval in the music and turned to me and said, "That's the same as this!"  And he began humming a song he knew.  Josiah hears music in his world.

Oh!  And by the way....we're on day 3 of the bug dress with Olivia.  I may try to peel it off of her during nap time and wash it.  Ha!

1 comment:

Julie Simmons said...

You have to know how much I adore your blog, especially when you spend time with your grandkids and tell us all about them. They are precious and wonderful and the dresses are amazing. Thanks :)