Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Jay's Ordination--Part 3

The main reason we went to Florida was to attend the ordination of our son-in-law, Jay Wright.   This has been a long journey for Jay & Amy.   This weekend, I asked Jay what really started him down this pathway.  As a music minister, he said he'd had a desire to add more scripture into the worship service.  He discovered The Book of Common Prayer which led him into more investigation...which led him to the Robert E. Webber Institute for Worship Studies...which led to his master's degree...which led to a position as worship leader at New Grace (Anglican) Church...which led to his doctorate...which led to becoming an Anglican priest.  This is just the short version and doesn't describe everything at all.  It's been quite a journey!  And I must say that I've also learned a lot along Jay & Amy's journey. 

I can't even describe the services at New Grace Church.  (You can see their website here--and see lots of Amy's photos on that website!)  But what I can tell you is that everytime I attend their service, all I can do is cry--every time.  And I'm not a cry-er.  It's so moving.  I enjoy the liturgy, the procession involving the cross, candles and banners, but most importantly, the practice of the presence of God.  It's honestly overwhelming.  I guess what I'd also tell you is that the worship isn't entirely different than what you'd find in a contemporary church service--but it's also mixed in with ancient worship.  I find it very appealing.  The first time I attended New Grace was after we'd had the life-size model of the Tabernacle at our own church--which made their service even more meaningful.

I'm so proud of Jay.  He hasn't made this transition lightly, but thoughtfully and prayerfully.  He's been an excellent leader of his family.  I'm just as proud of Amy.  It's not easy being a Baptist minister's daughter...and following.  But she has...quite gracefully, I might add. 

So this night was very special.  And I was very proud.












4 comments:

Sandra said...

Looks like you had a fun & blessed time!

As We Are said...

Becky, thank you for these posts! It's so good to see it all from pictures. We are super proud of them as well :) So glad you and Buff got to experience it all with them!

amy wright said...

That was such a sweet, sweet night. I'm so glad that you captured it in photos. I didn't even know you were taking them. :)
Thanks for coming out and for always being willing to learn and grow spiritually.

Unknown said...

What a beautiful sight....someone following in obedience what God has called him/her to do. Truly beautiful.