Friday, June 28, 2024

The Idol of My Pain



God wants to search our hearts and show us any wicked way in us, according to Psalm 139. What is that wicked way? I went to Blue Letter Bible to see exactly what it means. It means “idol, pain, sorrow.” Instantly, my mind went to “the idol of pain and sorrow!” 

Stop! Look into your own heart. Are you worshiping at an idol of pain or sorrow? It could be something that happened in your childhood—because that’s when Satan starts attacking us. It might be something because of race or gender. It could be a place of lack in your life which caused pain…or the loss of a family member. Possibly it’s a way you’ve been treated by a spouse or friends.  It could be anything!

When we worship our pain and sorrow, we stop there…we stay there. We build a high place so we can go there often. We repeat the same phrases of praise to those idols over and over again, “It’s not FAIR! They hurt me!!” We lay flowers in front of that idol by saying, “No one understands,” and repeat once again as we pet it, “Life could have been so different if ‘this’ hadn’t happened.” Those idols are there to stay…until we tear them down. 

How do we tear down those idols we may have had for a lifetime? I’ll tell you how I did it. Four idols easily came to my mind. I repented of making my pain and sorrow an idol. I asked God to forgive me. Then I found four shards of crock and wrote the names of the idols on them. And I went and buried them. I told God I never wanted to worship there again. I gave my whole devotion to Him. 

More idols may be revealed at another time and I plan to repeat the process. God is committed to revealing any wicked way in me when I ask.  

No comments: