Thursday, December 7, 2023

The Steadman’s Rebuilding Pt. 1



“MERRY!!! Get the kids in the cellar! NOW!” Caleb was screaming at me. At first, my legs felt like they were in cement but my mind finally connected with my feet. A tornado was coming!  “Henry! Get your sisters and RUN to the cellar! I knew his 12-year-old body could get the heavy cellar door up. “David, go with Henry!  Where’s Matthew?!” I was frantically trying to find David’s 9-year-old twin brother. Where was that boy?  In all likelihood, he could be on the roof watching the tornado! That boy was too adventurous for his own good. 

“Matthew! MATTHEW!!! I felt like my voice was being sucked up into the winds. “Mom! Look at this!” Matthew was standing in the second floor bedroom by the window with his binoculars watching the approaching tornado. There was no time to talk. I grabbed his arm and spun him around and began half-carrying him down the stairs and out the back door towards the cellar. Henry was standing at the top of the steps holding the door open enough so he could see us coming. Just as I was about to step into the opening, Caleb grabbed Matthew and practically threw us into the cellar and locked the heavy door. My heart was about to pound out of my chest.  Our first tornado at Steadman Farms. 

The girls, Sadie-6, and Ellie-2, ran to me. Sadie sat next to me with her arms clung around my waist and Ellie was against my chest with her arms squeezing my neck. They were both sobbing. We could hear the roar of the winds as the door banged and sounded like it was going to be lifted off its hinges. The boys’ eyes were as round as saucers. David was sitting on his hands and shaking. In a very calm, yet loud voice, Caleb yelled, “Henry, thank you for getting everyone into the cellar! You did great.” He got up and moved over between Matthew and David and put an arm around each of them and pulled Henry near them. He began to pray loudly, “God, please protect us!! Protect our animals and neighbors, in Jesus’ mighty name, amen.” And just at that moment, we heard what sounded like a train coming. The tornado was here. We huddled together as far away from the cellar door as possible. Would it never end???

And then it was over and we heard rain and hail pounding on the tin-covered storm door. Caleb and I looked at one another. What had just happened? What would we find when we opened that door? We were still huddled together, waiting for the hail to subside. The little arms weren’t quite as tight around my waist and neck. I wanted to have a good cry—but knew I needed to remain calm for the kids’ sakes. When we no longer heard hail, Caleb walked up the steps to the door. He unlatched it and began lifting it. Matthew was right behind him and we all heard his, “WHOA!” We all walked out of the cellar and stood looking at what used to be our house. You could tell it had been a two-story house but it was seriously unrecognizable. I was in shock. The girls were crying and the boys were staring. Interestingly, the barn looked unscathed. I couldn’t speak. 

Caleb pulled us into a big huddle and began praying, “God, thank You for giving us this house. It’s been such a gift. Thank You for keeping us all safe. We don’t know what lies ahead of us, but we trust You. You have NEVER failed us. And we know You won’t now. Bless us. And bless every family in Sunrise who was affected by this tornado. In Jesus’ name, amen. 

I knew God was in control…but where were we going to sleep tonight? The kids and I were sitting in the pickup with the heater going full blast while Caleb checked on the animals. Ellie was still crying and we were all hungry. Caleb came out of the barn and came to my window. He’d already started calling our church members to check on them. He couldn’t help himself—he was the consummate pastor—always checking on his sheep. He told me, “Jason said the church was untouched. George and Miss Shirley have already met him there and they are setting up a shelter for those who need it. Let’s go, Merry.” 

I really wanted to go dig through the remains of our house and see what was salvageable…but my adrenaline had drained and I was as limp as a wet noodle. I knew I was really close to falling apart—I’m really no good in emergencies. I slipped out of the pickup and fell into Caleb’s arms. He held me close and whispered, “It’s going to be ok, Merry. I promise.”

The seven of us left Steadman Farms in Caleb’s old pickup. As Caleb made the turn, I looked out my window to the remains of our home for the past 13 years. A tear began making its way down my cheek. What lay ahead of the Steadman family?

“Jesus, Jesus, Jesus!”

It’s the only words my mind could form. 

No comments: