Wednesday, June 10, 2015

My Cousin, the Police Officer


This is my cousin, Kristi--who is actually the age of my children.  Kristi is a wife, a mom, a daughter, a sister...and much, much more.  She's someone I love.  When Kristi leaves her home to go to work, she puts her life on the line.  I know you hear that all the time, but it's true.  It becomes even more true when someone you love is doing it.  I worry about her...I pray for her...I wish she'd go into a different line of work.  But I respect that she is doing what she feels called to do.

Our world feels out of control...mainly because it is. We've started calling right wrong and wrong right.  We've lost respect for authority.  Where did it go?  We're tearing apart the basic fabric of our communities--a part we desperately need!  Can you imagine if every police officer just walked off of the job?  What would happen to society as we know it?

Are there rogue police officers?  Yes, I'm sure there are.  Are there rogue doctors?  Yes, I imagine so.  But that doesn't keep me from having confidence in 99.9% of police officers and doctors and being willing to put my life in their hands.  Both professions may even make errors in judgment at times but that doesn't mean they're bad people.  I make errors in judgment a lot and I bet you do, too.

I'm not sure what's really going on in our nation.  I just know I want Kristi to come home safely each night to her husband and beautiful baby.  Please give our law enforcement the benefit of the doubt. Give them respect and teach your children the same.  Most are doing the very best they can and leave home each day with "protecting and serving their community with honor" on their minds.  I respect what Kristi and her fellow officers do.  Thank you, Kristi.  I love you.  And I won't be mad if you find another line of work.  ;-)

No comments: