Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Well-Timed Words

Cheryl Washburn Dacus

Cheryl Dacus died in a car accident September 27, 2013.  She was one of the sweetest, kindest people I've ever known.  She always had a smile and...she was just a hoot!  She loved to laugh--I can still hear it in my mind.  Someone "liked" this photo of her on Facebook today and I began looking at her Facebook page again and was reminded of Cheryl's well-timed words.

To back up, Cheryl's son, Damon, who was 28-years-old, was killed tragically in a gun accident September 26, 2012.  It was devastating to the Dacus family.  So on September 25, 2013, Cheryl was thinking about Damon and the 1-year anniversary of his death which was approaching when she posted this on Facebook:

Dread of death ends when you know heaven is your true home!
"In all my air travels I've never seen one passenger weep when the plane landed. Never! No one clings to the armrests and begs, “Don’t make me leave. Let me stay and eat more peanuts!” We’re willing to exit the plane because the plane has no permanent mailing address."
Nor does the world. Philippians 3:20 says, “We are citizens of heaven where the Lord Jesus Christ lives.”

Why don’t you do this? Give God your death. Imagine your last breath, envision your final moments. And offer them to him. Deliberately. Regularly.
My personal prayer has become, “Lord, I receive your work on the cross and in your resurrection. I entrust you with my departure from earth.”
With Christ as your friend and heaven as your home, the day of death becomes sweeter than the day of birth!"

From Come Thirsty
Max Lucado

Cheryl had no idea she was destined for her eternal home with her heavenly Father, whom she adored,  2 days after she posted this.  But I'm sure she did exactly what Max Lucado suggested.  She entered the presence of Jesus 1 year and 1 day after her son, Damon.  What a reunion--and what a legacy to leave behind!  Oh God, may we all be doing and saying things which please You so we leave a clear and resounding testimony such as Cheryl's.  Give us well-timed words today.

David, Angela & Emily...I continue to pray for you.  And I have to say, I've never been to more uplifting memorial services as Damon & Cheryl's.  They were well-loved and they loved well.

No comments: