Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Cheers...or Church?


What do these two things have in common?  More than you might imagine.    I remember when Cheers came on television, the "church" rose up in opposition to it and it's unsavory message.  It was boycotted.  We watched it just to see how bad it was.   (And kept watching it, I might add.)  If you've ever seen it, you know the song sticks in your head...."Where everybody knows your name, and they're always glad you came."

I have some friends who have started riding motorcycles.  They're Christians and the people they ride with aren't.  They're not cramming Jesus down the others' throats...they're just being "in the world, but not of the world."  But they've told me stories of how these new friends have embraced them into their group.  They hit the bars, but they've provided non-alcoholic drinks for my friends because they know they don't drink.  They invite the whole gang to their house and cook steaks for everyone.  They don't deride them for their Christian views--they offer respect.  They've even started affectionately calling this man "Chap" for chaplain.  And he told me of one motorcycle gang who always tells the others, "I love you," before they depart from one another.

It makes you wonder if the church is really offering something desirable enough for them to leave those groups and join ours. 

"By this shall all [men] know that you are My disciples, if you love one another [if you keep on showing love among yourselves]."  John 13:35

1 comment:

Ann Summerville said...

Great post. I see no point in separating ourselves. How are we to show others what we know if we don't mix with people who aren't Christians? Jesus was out "in the world"
Ann