Thursday, September 22, 2011

36 Years

Thirty-six years ago, I married Andy Dietz.  And I absolutely knew he was the one God had for me.  When he picked me up on our first (blind) date, it was the third time God had ever spoken to my heart so clearly.  I knew Andy was the man I was going to marry.  I always say my spirit recognized his.  I'd been praying for God to prepare me for my husband and to prepare him for me for 6 years before I met him.  The fact we had a bad first date only made me know he'd be calling again--I knew he'd want to redeem himself. ha!  And I was right.

I've never talked about it much, but it was difficult marrying an identical twin.  Andy & Phil had been inseparable until we married.  I felt like I was wriggling my way in between their identities.  And I lost mine in the process.  It took time to find my place, regain my identity, and to really feel like Mrs. Andy Dietz.  It probably didn't help that we spent our first year traveling with the Royalheirs (a Christian singing group) and had little time alone.  And then we spent the next 4-5 years traveling as the Dietz Brothers (the singing twins).  I'm sure it was just as difficult (or even more) for the twins trying to make room for me.

But survive we did.  Thirty-six years of surviving and thriving.  I never dreamed we'd be here.  I couldn't envision myself beyond having children 6 years of age.  Grandchildren weren't even in my imagination.  But I've had a blessed life, a blessed marriage and a blessed family--not always easy--but blessed.  I've said it so many times, but I'm so proud of my children.  They bring me pleasure...much pleasure.  My pleasure only increased with each addition to our family--by marriage, adoption and birth.  I know I sound sappy, but I couldn't have dreamed loving my kids' spouses like I do.  Only God can do that.  And no one has grandchildren as cute as mine! 

It's amazing what God can do in 36 years.  Our lives have been jam-packed full of adventure, laughter, fighting, and fun.   It definitely hasn't been boring--and I wouldn't trade it for the world.  Andy & I are off to our favorite vacation spot to celebrate 36 years of marriage.  I can hardly wait to see what's ahead!

4 comments:

amy wright said...

Thanks for loving each other for 36 years and for being such a huge stability in my life. I love you both!!

Mary B. said...

Great post, Becky! And congratulations on 36 years. May you have many more! And may I say, you have definitely established your own identity. I love seeing unions where each has their own identity, strong and healthy, and then together they form a new dynamic. You guys are the supreme examples. Hope you have fun on your trip. M

Ilene said...

Congratulations! In a world where longevity and perseverance is hard to find, you give us hope. Thanks for setting a great example for us all!

As We Are said...

Happy late anniversary you two!! I pray this year is amazing for you. One of the best yet :)