Monday, January 9, 2017

Offensive Blood

 


I was reading about the instructions God gave Moses to set Aaron & his sons apart as priests in Exodus 29. 

Can you imagine being one of the women who donated the beautiful fabric for Aaron's robe (fabric collected from the Egyptians before they fled) or being one of the women who sewed that garment by hand--and then seeing ram's blood flung on it?  That's right. As part of the ceremony, blood was applied to Aaron's right ear lobe (to hear the Word of God), right thumb (to do the will of God), and right big toe (to go the way of God). The "right" symbolized strength. And then blood was sprinkled on his robe--that brand new, beautiful, sacred robe. A robe which set Aaron apart and distinguished him as priest. It had to seem offensive.  I can't imagine how that seamstress felt!

But then again, I kind of do. I had to accept the blood sacrifice Jesus made when he died on the cross. His blood was shed as a sacrifice for my sin. I had to confess Jesus as the Lord of my life and bring my sin to him so it was covered by the blood. 

Blood is still offensive to some. It's saving grace and life to me. I was saved from sin and the death it brings by the blood Jesus shed on the cross.

No comments: