Friday, December 18, 2015

Papa, the Gas Station, & Politics

The Guys at the Gas Station--Papa Childress standing on the right

Much of who we are is determined by the time we're 8-years-old, right?  And by the time I was 8-years-old, I'd learned not to go with Papa Childress to the gas station.  I mean...it was tempting!  Once.  Just once, for me.  It was the promise of a bottle of Coke and a bag of peanuts.  But that few minutes of ecstasy was eclipsed by hours of hanging around the gas station listening to old men talk.  They mostly talked about politics and I was bored out of my ever-lovin' mind!!  My brothers, on the other hand, loved going with Papa to the gas station.  I could only surmise it was a guy-thing.  After my one learning session at the gas station, I chose to stay home with Granny.

My 8-year-old brain hasn't gotten over an aversion to sitting around and talking about politics.

No comments: