Tuesday, November 3, 2015

What story will you tell them?


Have you ever said to someone, or thought to yourself, "I can't wait to get to heaven and ask Moses about crossing the Red Sea...or Joshua about the battle of Jericho...or Deborah about leading an army of men."?  There are so many heroes in the Old Testament--men and women who obeyed God and did some amazing things.  And I certainly want to hear their stories in person when I get to heaven!

But did you realize they can't wait to talk to you and hear your stories?  They're going to want to know what it was like to live with the Holy Spirit residing inside of you.  There were a few of them who had the Holy Spirit come upon them during their lifetimes...but none of them had Him living inside of them constantly.  Which is why David asked God not to remove the Holy Spirit from him.  He didn't want his sin to cause the Holy Spirit to leave.  The Holy Spirit doesn't leave us after we're saved.  He's right there all the time--living inside of us. It's part of the change called grace.  When Jesus died, rose again, and left the earth--He sent the Holy Spirit to live in us. And all He is and has is available to us all the time.

I was stunned one day when I began thinking about it and this thought occurred to me:  People who lived thousands of years ago are waiting to ask ME what it was like living with the Holy Spirit available to me every day.  What would I tell them?  How have I allowed the Holy Spirit to teach me, guide me, help me?  What kind of power has He been able to display through me?  Has my life been different than those who lived without Him--those who are already in heaven?  Wow.  It's changing how I live--because I want a story to tell those saints of old.  I want to be able to tell them what it was like allowing the Holy Spirit to change me and display His fruit in my life.  I want to tell them what it was like to hear Him tell me what the Father was saying.  I want to be able to say I heard Him and corrected my course.  I want to share with them how He arranged divine appointments for me as I followed Him.  I want to be able to tell them I did miracles or shared prophecies because He told me what to do.  I want them to know what it was like having Him so available to me.

I want a story to tell.

No comments: