Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Spirit of Religion Check-Up


Zach told me about The Voice--a new version of the Bible.  I was needing a new Bible to study from so that I could see everything with fresh eyes.  I'm really liking it.  As I began reading in Matthew, I wanted to really concentrate on Jesus' teachings.  But what began catching my attention was the attitude of the Scribes, Pharisees, and Saducees.  These people all ascribed to the Law and were trying to hold Jesus and his disciples to the letter of the law.  They had the spirit of religion.  So as I began going through Matthew, I began noting how the spirit of religion acts.  Because this has been a battle of mine, I was very interested to see the manifestation and progression of this spirit. (Some might call it an attitude.  But behind it is a spirit-being, or demon, driving it.  Which is why we're told to take every thought captive--not all thoughts are our own.)  So since I did the study, I thought someone else might be interested.  At the very least, it's a good check-up for all of us.  I hope you note the progression of the spirit of religion from one point to the next in the life of Jesus as we go through Matthew.  I'm certain this is not a conclusive list...but it's enough, don't you think?

No comments: