Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Control



The other side of the resisting coin is control.  You can't control everything in your life (and those around you) and operate in the Spirit.  They are diametrically opposed.  If you have to have control, you need to know you're going to have to let go in order for the Spirit to have control of your life.

But what about self-control mentioned in the fruit of the Spirit, you ask?  Galatians 5:22-23.  It took me forever to get this---but all of the fruit mentioned here are a result of the Holy Spirit controlling our lives!!   We can't have self-control unless we give up our own control to the Spirit of God.  And then it's a beautiful result by which we are able to control our souls--our mind, will, and emotions.  We are then able to take every thought captive to the obedience of Christ which controls what we think, do, act on, emote, and become.

I realized that I was controlling to protect my own heart. At least that's what I was subconsciously telling myself.  And that's a lie straight from the pit of hell.  I don't protect myself when I control.  My control becomes a weapon to bash the hearts of others!!

So what about having our children "under control?"  Proverbs 22:6 tells us to train our children. That word is the same word used to dedicate the temple--which is actually a great word picture.  They are or will become the temple of God.  We are to dedicate them and point them towards God.  Of course, that involves discipline---but not control.  God never intended for one human being to control another.  Have you ever seen a parent who's never given up their control of a child--even though the child is an adult?  It's not a pretty thing.  It makes you cringe for that "child."

As soon as we give up control, the Holy Spirit can flow through us.  I encourage you to do what I'm doing...allow the Holy Spirit to examine your life and loosen those fingers of control.  It's all about seeking His kingdom and His righteousness...because I want all these things added to me.  Matthew 6:33-34.  I don't know about you...but I want to walk in the power of the Holy Spirit and His full flow in my life!!

No comments: