Friday, February 27, 2015

Against the Grain by Nancy Cain


If you're ready to venture into the world of gluten-free foods, this is the cookbook to get you started!  Nancy's son was diagnosed with celiac disease and she began using the foods ready-to-cook in her grocery store and found them gummy and tasteless.  The recipes she found included things like xanthan gum or guar gum or things with chemical additives.  She chose, instead, to create gluten-free recipes from her own beloved family recipes.  This cookbook is a result of that challenge.

In this cookbook, you'll find breads, cookies, pizza dough, cakes, crepes---all of those lovely things usually made out of gluten products.  The interesting thing is if you put photos of gluten-filled cupcakes up next to her photos of gluten-free cupcakes, you'd never be able to tell the difference!

Her recipes include light buckwheat flour, tapioca starch, quinoa flakes, potato flour...among others.  She includes a chart showing which flours work best for different things.  She includes instructions on how to create a gluten-free kitchen, building blocks on how to change a beloved recipe, and gluten-free techniques (which I had no idea were so significant).  

All-in-all, I think this is a cookbook which will delight you if you are turning into a gluten-free direction...and will be just as helpful for those who already have and want to adjust their old recipes.  Because xanthan and guar gum were so threatening to me as a newbie, I never dipped my toe into gluten-free cooking beyond packaged products.  I think this cookbook might win me over!

I give this book 5 out of 5 stars!  I received this book to review by Blogging for Books

No comments: