Wednesday, July 17, 2013

A Child's Discovery

As a parent, I think one of my most exciting moments was when one of my children would discover what they love.  And maybe even when they would try a new thing to see if it was a "fit."  Can I tell you a secret?  It doesn't stop when they're children.  It's so much fun watching my adult children discover what they love--and even trying something new to see if it works for them.  I love their adventurous spirits and am slightly jealous of it.  I'm not a natural adventurer or a risk-taker.  And that was part of my own discovery.  But their example has led me to stick my neck out and try some new things.

My kids have tried some things I never would have tried.  Matt was a debater and was very good at it.  I wouldn't have had the courage to put myself out there.  For Amy to step out and adopt is something I might have wanted to do, but the paperwork would have looked insurmountable to me and would have stopped me.  David led worship in front of 300 kids in high school.  I'm sure I never could have done that.  And early on, Zach opened himself to friendships with lots of kids...not just a few close ones.  I definitely wouldn't have done that.

It's so much fun to watch your kids do things you wouldn't have had the courage to do.  But the better thing is watching as they discover who God created them to be and fulfilling that purpose.  It's an amazing thing.

I love the grace God gives us...to discover by trial and error who we are and what we were created to do.  I've done a lot of things in my life that weren't a fit, but were just a sacrifice of love and service.  And that's OK and even a good thing.  But I love it when God opens something new before us and all we can do is squeal with delight because it's exactly what we love and what we were created to do.  I think that delights our Father.



No comments: