Thursday, October 26, 2023

Psalm 139



I memorized Psalm 139:23-24 years ago this way: “Search me, O God, and know my heart; try me, and know my thoughts; see if there be any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting. 

Here’s what I understood with my black & white thinking: Judge my heart and keep me out of sin.  

I looked up each word in the Blue Letter Bible (original Hebrew) as my sister, Sandra, and I discussed each word. This is the Becky Translation:

I open the door of my heart to you and invite you in for inspection. Examine my heart intimately. Use your power of observation and discern what is there.  Examine, scrutinize, and perceive my disquieting, anxious thoughts (my anxiety) which are troubling me. Consider my sorrow and pain (physical or mental). Take into account my idolatrous ways and the journeys I’ve taken with bad habits. Guide me to you. Forgive me. Restore me. Lead me into an intimate relationship with you which will last forever. 

This interpretation is of a loving father accepting his traumatized child’s invitation to rescue him and lead him into restoration, healing, grace, love, and redemption—and away from trauma, anxiety, pain, sorrow, bad habits, sin and the effects of sin! God exposes lies and reveals truth which brings freedom. The result is a beautiful life which knows no end. 

It will be worth it if you open your heart to God and let him examine it.  

No comments: