Tuesday, April 25, 2023

God’s Promise to King David



Why is every king of Israel compared to David? 

As I’ve been reading through I & II Kings, it’s hit me that there has to be a reason. Why did God single David out?  Why did he continue to bless Jerusalem because of David? Even as Hezekiah reigned (a good king like David), God rescued Jerusalem when Hezekiah cried out to Him. God said, “I will defend this city, to save it for My own sake and for My servant David’s sake.” Why did God defend it for David’s sake?

1. God keeps His promises forever. 
2. David obeyed God and was a man after His own heart.  

What was God’s promise?  I Kings 11:32-36. 
However, I will not take the whole kingdom out of his (Solomon’s) hand; but I will make him ruler all the days of his life for David My servant’s sake, whom I chose because he kept My commandments and My statutes. But I will take the kingdom out of his son’s hand and give it to you, ten tribes. Yet to his son I will give one tribe, that David My servant may always have a light before Me in Jerusalem, the city where I have chosen to put My Name.”

God kept his promise. Jerusalem is still God’s city. And David is still God’s man—Jesus Christ came from the lineage of David.  

God will keep His promise to you, too.  

No comments: