Thursday, January 19, 2023

Straining Against the Yoke



I didn’t realize how MUCH I did my own thing without giving it much thought. Someone has had a hard day? Take them a meal. A grandchild is sick? Jump in the car and go help. Someone else’s house needs a carpenter? Who do I know that I can call for them? 

This morning, I was overwhelmed with needs all around me. I put on my Superwoman cape and sprang into action! The only problem was…I strained against that yoke I’d submitted to. I was going, but Jesus wasn’t. After I gave that yoke another hard push, Jesus began instructing me. 

That person having a hard day needed to hear Him. If I intervened, they’d only hear me. That sick grandchild? He needed his parents. And his parents are building spiritual muscles through this hard time. I needed to pray for them all. And the person needing a carpenter? Jesus already knew their need and as a master carpenter, He knew who to send. He also knew how to save them money. 

I know Jesus will let me be a part of helping. He wants that! But how many times have I inserted myself in a situation where I wasn’t needed or wanted—and only hindered what God was doing? Before I spring into action, I need to hear Him. I need to check my motives. I need to agree with God for what HE’S doing.

And…I need to burn that Superwoman cape.  

No comments: