Monday, May 30, 2022

Investigate for Truth


Proverbs 18:17 (TLB) says, “ Any story sounds true until someone tells the other side and sets the record straight.” 

Have you noticed how things are changing around us? People seem angry. They’ve become very vocal about anything and everything. They jump to conclusions without any investigation. They may even begin defending one side without hearing the other side. I think our culture has been wildly forged by social media where we quickly jump to conclusions and judgments. We hear one side of the story without ever asking questions or checking the facts with the other people involved. 

We need to use wisdom, don’t we? These are some questions we can ask or things we can tell ourselves in these situations:

1. Holy Spirit, lead me to the truth. 
2. Is the person telling me this reliable?
3. I need to control my emotions until I know the truth. 
4. What IS the truth?
5. Have I heard the other side of the story?
6. Do I really want the truth..or to just give my opinion?
7. Does this even involve me? Why HAVE I been involved? Am I part of the problem or part of the solution?  If not, this doesn’t concern me. 

We definitely need to spend time in prayer and allow God to check our emotions, motives, and heart. One thing we should never do is gossip—even as a prayer request. That only compounds the problem and makes us complicit in any half-truths. God told us through James, Understand this, my dear brothers and sisters: You must all be quick to listen, slow to speak, and slow to get angry.”  James 1:19

Let’s investigate for truth.  

No comments: