Wednesday, July 28, 2021

A World Obsessed



People will love themselves.  

II Timothy 3:2 says that in the last days, people will love themselves. When we read this passage, we often look at our world as a whole.  And as a whole, we’re obsessed with ourselves!  

But we seldom bring it down to a personal level.  How does this passage apply to ME?  Am I self-absorbed?   Am I selfish?   Am I constantly protecting myself? Thinking about how things affect me?  Wondering what this will do to my plans?  Do I promote myself?  Do I feel “better than” others?   Do I want to change my looks so I look more like a TV personality?  Do I horde my money for my wants and desires?  Do I save the best for myself?  Do I think of myself before I think of others?

Am I even more extreme?   Am I a narcissist?  A narcissist…
1. Has a grandiose sense of self-importance. 
2. Lives in a fantasy world that supports their delusions of grandeur. 
3. Needs constant praise and admiration.  
4. Has a sense of entitlement.  
5. Exploits others without guilt or shame. 
6. Frequently demeans, belittles, intimidates, or bullies others.  

Living a life of selfishness is completely opposite of how Jesus taught us to live. Jesus told us that we’re to live a life thinking of others as better than ourselves.  He told us to meet the needs of others.  But we’re now living in a world that says we must put ourselves first. If we don’t think of ourselves first, who will?   

Bringing this down to us, leaves us with this question…How will I live?   Will I follow the way of the world and think of myself first?   Or will I follow Jesus and be selfless and serve others?

No comments: