Saturday, June 15, 2019

Baby Steadman Part II



I was so glad to be past morning sickness that I was ready to celebrate!  An idea had been forming in my head.  I wanted to start inviting our church members to lunch after church—one small group at a time.  My trouble was who to start with and how to mix them.  But one thing I was doing for sure.  I was having George, a two-year widower, and Miss Shirley, a long-time widow, for the same meal.  Maybe it was because Josh & Hallie McGyver played matchmaker with Caleb & I.  But whatever!   I just knew George and Miss Shirley needed an opportunity to be together—as a couple.  “Oh, God, please let them both be able to come.  And fill our dinner table with fun and laughter.” I prayed under my breath.  

Jason and Jennifer had settled into the parsonage and into their new part-time job as youth minister.  You could drive by their house almost any night and see the cars of our youth lining the front curb.  They had an open-door policy with the kids with the exception of Thursday and Saturday night which was reserved for just the two of them. Jason told them, “We love you guys, but I love my wife more.  She deserves two nights of my undivided attention.” I thought they were wise to set those boundaries before they began a family of their own. I loved that Jennifer was on board with Jason’s open-door policy.  

My belly was growing!  I’d decided I wasn’t one to wear tight clothes to show off my baby bump—but I also didn’t want my grandma’s maternity fashions. It was hard finding exactly what I wanted.  My mom came over one morning and said, “Let’s go shopping!  I’ve found the cutest maternity shop and I think they have exactly what you’re looking for.”  We spent the entire morning there.  I normally hate trying on clothes, but this was different.  I couldn’t wait to wear maternity clothes.  “Mom, I can’t let you buy every single outfit I’ve tried on.  Let me just pick one or two things for you to get.  I do get a salary from A Lotta Latte, after all.”  “Nonsense!” she said,  “I’ve been waiting for this moment. And I can promise these clothes will last for more than one pregnancy,”  I had to laugh—Mom and her expectations.  

Sunday, at last. I’d struggled over what to serve but finally settled on a pot roast since I could leave it cooking in the crockpot during church.  Everyone had agreed to come!   George, Miss Shirley, Mark & Sandra Langford (their 5 kids were visiting grandparents), and Jason & Jennifer Wilson. I knew this group would keep the conversation going and our dining table would be filled with laughter.  I managed to seat George & Shirley across from each other and was pleased when they joined the conversation and even enjoyed some private laughter.  The meal was a success and the dessert in the living room was even more casual.  As they all left, I looked at Caleb and said, “Well we’ll just let that simmer a little while and do it again.”   Caleb belly laughed and said, “Merry, don’t get your hopes up.  George looks like a slow burner to me.”

I’d also worn my first maternity dress today.  I was excited but also surprisingly shy about sporting my first maternity outfit.  I knew it would definitely draw attention.  And it did.  Jessa, the young mom who worked with our children ran up to me and put her hand on my belly and whispered, “You look adorable!”  It seemed my maternity dress gave every woman in the church permission to touch my belly.  Or maybe it was because I was the pastor’s wife and I belonged to them. 

Caleb and I laid in bed that night, and, as usual, with his hand on my belly. We began talking about George and Miss Shirley.  “Wouldn’t it be sweet if they got married?” I asked.  “Of course,” Caleb replied, “But it would also bring some challenges for them both.  Which house would they live in?  Would their kids think it was a good idea?   And those are just starters, I’d think.” I was turning these questions over in my mind when I felt the strangest sensation. There was a fluttering in my belly!   “Did you feel that??” I asked Caleb. And of course, he didn’t.  But we both laughed over the miracle of a growing baby.  I couldn’t wait for my first ultrasound!  

No comments: