Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Bathsheba: Reluctant Beauty by Angela Hunt


I received this book to review and interestingly, I'd just finished a book about Bathsheba by another author.  In fact, the other author's view was one I'd long-held.  But as I read this book and saw the story in another light and thought about the scripture...I believe this story is probably closer to how it really happened.

In Angela Hunt's fictional assumption of what happened in Bathsheba's life, I was moved by her portrayal of Bathsheba.  She showed her to be a woman of great character who loved her husband, Uriah the Hittite.  In fact, in Angela's story, a prophecy is given over Bathsheba's life that she would be a "Tob" (of great beauty) woman and she questions whether it's a blessing or a curse.  Most translations of the Bible tell the story of David & Bathsheba's sexual encounter in much lighter tones that does Ms. Hunt.  Most translations say, "he lay with her" which almost makes you think it could have been consensual.   Angela paints a picture of rape.  And as I went to Blue Letter Bible to compare David & Bathsheba's story with that of David's children, Amnon and Tamar, (which we know was rape), the very same Hebrew word is used:  shakab.  I believe Ms. Hunt did her homework!

I highly recommend this book.  I would give it 5 out of 5 stars.
Thank you to Bethany House for providing this book for review. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255

No comments: