Thursday, January 15, 2015

Going into the Family Business



This has been a red letter day!  I've decided to go into the family business.  I've dabbled in it for years.  I know all of the legalities of the business.  I've gone to school for it and have a higher education in it.  I've even taught about it.  But my father has been showing me more and more of what it entails.  And I'm jumping in with both feet and committing myself to this business and where it takes me!  I'm pretty excited about it, in fact!!

And He said to them, “Why did you seek Me? Did you not know that I must be about My Father’s business?”  Luke 2:49

Jesus joined the family business early.  When he was 12-years-old, he knew what he was supposed to do.  He heard and obeyed his Father and went into the temple (even as his mom and earthly father unknowingly left town without him) and began listening and asking wise questions of those teachers.    He even said this many years later:  
"I am able to do nothing from Myself [independently, of My own accord—but only as I am taught by God and as I get His orders]. Even as I hear, I judge [I decide as I am bidden to decide. As the voice comes to Me, so I give a decision], and My judgment is right (just, righteous), because I do not seek or consult My own will [I have no desire to do what is pleasing to Myself, My own aim, My own purpose] but only the will and pleasure of the Father Who sent Me."  John 5:30

I've been listening to the Father's voice for lots of years now.  But I've taken a greater leap of faith!  I want to do the same thing Jesus did--I want to do the works the Father has sent me to do.  He's prepared me--it's been written on my heart.  I can even tell you I've done some of them.  Some might argue that I've been about my Father's business since I joined the family at 9-years-old.  But there's a difference between being born into the family...and joining the family business.  There's even a difference in studying about the business and actually doing it.  The family business is listening to and then obeying everything the Father wants me to do...every.single.day...even at the risk of looking different.  But if I want to be like Jesus and do even greater works than he did, that's a risk I'm willing to take!  It's the Father's Business, after all--I believe He knows how to run it.  I'm just a small peg in the family business--willing to carry out the Father's orders.  I have a feeling I'm about to embark on the greatest adventure of my life! 

No comments: