Monday, September 29, 2014

MIracle in a Dry Season by Sarah Loudin Thomas


Miracle in a Dry Season by Sarah Loudin Thomas was a sweet story reminding me of the story of redemption found in Rahab's story in the Bible.  I'm not sure Sarah meant for it to mirror that story, but I thought it did.

It's the story of Perla Long who had a child out of wedlock and moved to Wise, West Virginia to get away from the talk of folks in her own hometown.  But she couldn't move to a new town with a small daughter and then lie about never being married.  So her story, and the judgment and rejection of people, followed her to Wise.  Casewell Phillips was a bachelor who became enamored with the mother and child.  He helped Perla feed hungry crowds of people with small quantities of food which always grew according to the size of the crowd.  A true miracle...but it wasn't enough to win the favor of the people.

I admired the way Sarah described the drought in Wise.  Having just gone through a 5-year drought in our own area, I thought she hit the nail on the head with her descriptions.  And the first rain after a drought?  Miraculous!!  I loved that John heard it on his way to heaven before it actually materialized in Wise.

A very sweet story.  I'd give this book 4 out of 5 stars.
Thank you to Bethany House for providing this book for review. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255

No comments: