Saturday, September 8, 2012

The Blessed Church by Robert Morris


If you've read my book reviews before, you know that I like a lot of books.  But there are few books that I love so much that I'm willing to purchase them for people I hope will read them.  This is one of those books.  For anyone on the staff of a church, I highly recommend this book.  Robert Morris brilliantly shares the things he's learned from growing a church from the ground up.  His humble attitude is refreshing and creates a desire to learn from him.

Robert has an effortless style of writing which will allow you to get through this book quickly and easily.  In this book, you will learn about how to gain vision for your church, how to lead and shepherd your church, how to choose leaders, how to follow your pastor, and all about church governance.  I don't think this book is strictly for church leaders (pastor, staff, elders, etc.).  I also think church members would gain a lot by understanding what a pastor does (his decisions, boundaries, etc.)--even what to look for when your church is looking for a pastor.  It would also assist a church in trouble to understand how a church could/should be governed.

At one point in the book, Robert tells how many churches today are falling into a ditch on either side of church governance.  There are churches who have given complete authority to a pastor and many of those pastors are failing either morally or in their shepherding because there's no accountability.  And then there are churches who are failing because lay leaders have so much control that it's choking the vision of the pastor.  I think this book and Robert's church give an example of how to have a balanced church.  We can certainly learn from the things he's learned.

I'd give this book 5 out of 5 stars!
Thank you to WaterBrook Press for providing this book for review. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255

No comments: