Tuesday, July 4, 2023

When Chaos Reigns



As I read the last chapter of II Chronicles today, I was struck with how two younger brothers became king before their older brothers did—when it was common for the firstborn to become king when his father died. And one of these kings was an 8-year-old!  And of the 8-year-old, it says, “Jehoiachin was eight years old when he became king, and he reigned in Jerusalem three months and 10 days. And he did evil in the sight of the LORD.” How much evil can an 8-year old do?  Enough. 

As I pondered on this chapter, I asked God, “Why did the younger brothers become king first? And how can an 8-year-old do the kind of evil that would cause You to cut him off in 100 days?

Here’s what I heard God speak to my heart: 
When a nation, city, school, church, or family turns away from me, chaos reigns. There is no order. And if an 8-year-old is only surrounded by evil, taught evil, and embraces evil…he makes evil choices…even at 8-years-old. 

God, help us!!

“If My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.” 
 II Chronicles 7:14

No comments: