Wednesday, December 14, 2022

A Steadman Christmas Blizzard Pt.5



“Merry, I can’t call an ambulance…we don’t have cell service! Besides, they couldn’t make it out here—we’re having a blizzard, remember?” Of course I remembered! I wasn’t so hysterical I’d forgotten that! I just didn’t want to have baby #4 in a barn during said blizzard. But it looked like that’s exactly what was going to happen. I’d never had labor come on so quickly or decidedly. 

Caleb rushed to make me a bed of hay and threw the blanket over it and settled me on it. I yelled, “I need to push!” I grabbed his hand and dug in with my nails—and push, I did.  My only consolation was that Caleb had helped deliver every baby animal on our farm. And I knew God was with us. Caleb took the walkie talkie from me and told Katy we were fine, but we were in the process of something for our family. I’m not sure she understood what that meant, but I also knew Caleb didn’t want her worried and didn’t want the boys getting overly excited.  One more push…

I was crying unashamedly. We were both staring at Sadie Belle Steadman. Her name means “Princess-Beautiful-Farmer.” She was perfect, pink, and beautiful. “A GIRL!” Caleb said over and over.  “Who would have ever dreamed we’d have a girl?” Surprisingly, I was warm. Maybe it was all the work I’d done. But I honestly think I was covered by God’s glory. 

Caleb called Katy, “Uh, Katy. Something special has gone on out here in the barn. Could you tell the boys to get bundled up?  I want them to come see. Caleb had swaddled Sadie in my scarf and covered me with my coat. Then he opened the barn door to a beautiful starry night.  When had the blizzard stopped? Caleb went to the house and led three little shepherds to the barn. The look of wonder on their faces is something I will always treasure in my heart. 

Each boy got to take a turn holding their little sister. Caleb was already training the boys in how to care for a little girl. “Guys, little girls are so special. God has given you a responsibility as Sadie’s big brothers to guard and protect her. She’s a treasure just like you! But she requires a gentle hand. I’m so glad God gave Sadie three big brothers to help her,” he told them. 

We saw a shining light inside the barn. “A star!” Matthew yelled. But when Caleb peered out the door, he saw a snow plow with blinking lights and an ambulance behind making its way to our house.  “Boys, take care of your mom and Sadie while I go see what’s going on.”  David came and held my hand while Henry and Matthew stood guard over us. 

Sadie and I were loaded into the ambulance and headed towards the hospital. Dr. Manning had asked for special consideration to be made for Katy to get to the hospital as soon as the snow plow could safely get out. But once Katy knew of the miracle birth in the barn, she insisted we go first. Caleb and my three shepherds would follow as soon as Katy was loaded. 

Sadie wasn’t born on Christmas Day.  But her birth seemed just as miraculous as that of our Savior’s—just different. In fact, before we left the barn that quiet night, Caleb gathered our three shepherd sons near and he prayed over us, “Father, thank You for this miraculous birth in our barn.  It’s one none of us will ever forget! Thank you for taking care of Merry and bringing Sadie to us so perfectly. We Steadman men promise to cherish and care for these beautiful women in our lives. Equip us to be the men of God You want us to be. Guide us just like You guided the Wise Men in the Bible. Let the Steadman Family be the light of the world and follow You closely. In Jesus’ name, amen.” I took one last look at Caleb, Henry, Matthew, David, and baby Sadie.  And I tucked that snapshot in my heart to hold there for the rest of my life.  

The End. 

No comments: