Saturday, October 29, 2022

Dread



Do you have a sense of dread? Is there something or someone looming over you causing fear or anxiety? I mean…there’s enough going on in our world right now to fill us all with a sense of dread, right?

Dread could be so hidden that we don’t even recognize it for what it is. Is there a day of the week which fills you with anxiety? Do you get sweaty palms knowing you’ll see someone tomorrow? Are you stressed in a certain setting? Do the holidays fill you with dread? Are you anxious when you listen to the news? (I mean…who isn’t!)

God warned Isaiah (Isaiah 8) about a coming invasion by Assyria. He also told him not to join in with the conspiracy theories nor to be afraid of the threats. He said, “The LORD of hosts, Him you shall call holy; let Him be your fear, and let Him be your dread.”

I know that when I’m fearing something or someone, my eyes and my heart are in the wrong place. I’ve exalted them above God. I feel powerless and out of control. I’m afraid of how I’ll be affected by what someone else does. The truth is…I never had control. And I can’t control the actions of others. And God, who has control, is only allowing things in my life to strengthen me and change me.  

Satan delights seeing us fear and dread—it’s right where he wants us! If we fear, we won’t step out in obedience to God. Our courage has melted. We’ll be silent when we should speak up. We’ll hide instead of engaging in battle. 

We need to let God be our fear and our dread. If our eyes are on Him and we’re convinced of His strength and control, we can live free of fear, anxiety, and dread. There’s a great battle going on in our minds, isn’t there?

Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, Yes, I will help you, I will uphold you with My righteous right hand.’
Isaiah 41:10

For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal but mighty in God for pulling down strongholds, casting down arguments and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God, bringing every thought into captivity to the obedience of Christ,” 
II Corinthians 10:4-5

No comments: