Monday, April 20, 2020

You Were Created Differently



You Were Created Differently
by Becky Dietz

When I read a story in the Bible, I almost always identify with the good guy, don’t you?   Well this morning, God showed me I was Cain, not Abel.  

God created these two men differently.  And with that difference, came distinct expectations.  You have to know that God had told Cain, the ground tiller, what was expected when he harvested his crops.  He was to bring his firstfruits FIRST.  He may have even been instructed to have an 8-day feast including 2 days of sabbath, like Moses was instructed later.  Abel, on the other hand, was a shepherd and God’s expectation from him was a blood sacrifice of the firstborn of his flock.  God always told man what the requirements were for obedience beforehand.  And then He required complete obedience. 

Abel obeyed.  It says “in the process of time, Cain brought an offering of the fruit of the ground to the Lord.”   Not the firstfruit.  And not when God said. 

The interesting thing is Cain became jealous of Abel.  He didn’t take responsibility for his own disobedience.  He didn’t acknowledge that God had created them differently and had unique expectations for each of their livelihoods.  He was just mad at Abel because he received God’s respect, acceptance, and favor.  (Which by the way, is a basic need of each of our hearts.)  God confronted Cain with truth: “Why are you angry?  If you’ll just OBEY...you’ll find respect, acceptance, and favor.  If you continue to disobey, sin will devour you. But I’m telling you—you can rule over that sin!”

Yes...I’m Cain.  I want everyone to be held to the same standard of requirements which God has for me.  Do we have some of the basic requirements for obedience?  Of course!   But God has also created us uniquely and individually with expectations all our own.  It’s easy for me to get jealous when someone else just has to kill an animal when I must prepare an 8-day feast including two sabbaths.   And that difference can lead to murder in my heart.  

I don’t want to be Cain.  I want to value the differences which God has created for each of us. I want to focus on complete obedience—because I want to live in the favor of God.  And I want the same for you.  We can’t demand that everyone fit our mold; instead, let’s respect and appreciate the differences of one another!  God created us uniquely for a reason.  

No comments: