Saturday, July 26, 2008

How does it feel to be the mom of a 30-year-old?

WOW! I can hardly believe my first-born is 30 today. Where was I when I was 30? I had 4 children with my oldest being 8. My youngest was 1 year old. I was living in Broken Arrow, Oklahoma and my husband was a youth minister to 600 kids! I was hardly involved with his youth ministry since I was raising our own little youth group. And now my son is 30 and has a 9-year-old and a 6-year-old. It's de-ja-vu!
I don't feel so "old" as I just feel "seasoned." I purposed when Matt was born that I was going to enjoy every stage of my kids' lives. That worked so well, that as they began leaving home, I purposed I was going to enjoy every stage of my own life. And I am.
It's so awesome being 52 and healthy! I love being around my kids and grandkids----and miss them like crazy when I don't get to see them often enough! But...God always has a way.
Tonight, that 9-year-old is spending the night with me. She's pretty hysterical. She has a great tan and is sporting her Hannah Montana blonde wig. She wanted to try on make-up, so we did. She also got to drink Coke and eat a cookie, which she doesn't do often. It's great being a grandma!
So....it's made me pretty sentimental tonight thinking about my baby being 30 while spending time with his first-born. I think I'm liking 52.

1 comment:

Marcy Faye Hallden said...

Awwww, I am loving this, aren't you??