Sunday, April 5, 2009

The Mystery of the King

It started last night. After blogging about meeting the Queen, I decided it was time for me to learn royal protocol. So I started with my tithe. I prepared it and felt it was only fitting to come and bow before the King and present my offering. It was a wonderful moment. I knew I was in his presence and all I could do was cry and praise him.
This morning, my ears and heart were open to my King while I was at church. I've come to God before as my Daddy. I've come to him as my friend. I've come to him as my teacher and mentor. But I don't think I've ever come to him as my King. And I found today that I've been missing something. It's a holy place where God is revered as King.
I discovered you can't come without a sense of awe and deep respect. And you can't come without being willing to submit to him---to bow low with your heart and possibly your body. Another thing I observed was that in the King's presence, everything else becomes small. A bad day with the kids, financial problems, world crises---it all fades when you're with your King who owns everything and has everything under his feet. Every song we sang in church and every verse that was read reminded me of my King. In fact, I sat in a perfect place today--not where I usually sit--but in a row in front of our mentally challenged friends at church. They know how to worship the King. I think there are no hindrances in their hearts to prevent them from coming to their King. It was beautiful. All I could do was cry all morning long. The King has touched my heart.
Do you remember the story of Michelle Obama meeting the Queen of England? She ignored protocol. She reached out and hugged the Queen. The people in England are ecstatic! It's the first time it's happened and the Queen reached out and hugged her back.
I think I have been like Michelle Obama. I've ignored protocol. But I don't think it's been particularly endearing. I think I've approached the King of the universe and by my actions have let him know that I am in charge---he is beneath me. In fact, I'm going out on a limb here. I think some of our churches have told God that this is our house and he is welcome to come and join us. We've made ourselves the hosts/hostesses and asked him to bow and submit to us. I don't think it's an intentional slap in the face---I just think we've ignored protocol. We don't know how to treat royalty!
I encourage you to try it. Come before this King with a curtsy, bowing low before him or kissing his signet ring. Honor him as the King of kings. Respect his authority. And see what happens. It's a mystery you'll only know when you come before the King.

5 comments:

OuR LiTtLe SmArTiEs said...

Becky I need this word about the king it touched my heart... So thanks for sharing your heart

amy wright said...

This is what I have been getting a taste of in our new church. There is a sense of awe. We bow, kneel, receive... I love what you wrote because it helps me get a better grasp on what I have been taking part in.
And Jay has even pointed out to me that we always used to sing songs about "me", and "I", which are great because it talks about our relationship/friendship with God. But when we sing about him, it's a whole different protocol.
When you come and visit our church, I want you to notice how everyone bows when the cross goes by and when they pass by the altar, and when they bring the offering to the table.
This is fun stuff!!
This is fun!

TheShermanFam said...

I was looking for you this morning...I didn't look back far enough! Worhip was so good this morning...we had extended session and missed the sermon :(.
This and Amy's comment make me think of something one of the speakers said this weekend at the conference. He was talking about worship music and theology, etc. He doesn't like the song "Above All"...he actually REALLY does not like it. He doesn't like at the end where it says..."you took the fall, and thought of ME above all"
Just really made me think about how selfish and how worthy I like to think I am...Did he really think of ME...ABOVE ALL?? I'm not so sure.
There are A LOT of other things other speakers have me thinking about along the same lines...but I've typed a lot already. I'll save it for later.

Julie Simmons said...

wow...so beautifully written...this tribute to our King! can't wait to hear all about your visit with Amy and family...I know you must be near bursting with anticipation!

Rachel said...

After worshipping at Jay and Amy's church, it has been very difficult to fall back into the norm at our church. Actually I didn't go to church because 2 of the kids were not feeling well, but I have been anticipating my return. Not nervously, but with a different attitude toward worship. It was awesome to see what Jay had been trying to implement into our worship before he left. It also made me miss Jay and Amy so much more. There was reverence in everything they did toward God. The collect for Purity was my favorite. To me it was preparing oneself to be able to even stand in the presence of the King and offer worship to Him. Bowing before the Alter just as they passed by. Kneeling for prayer, kneeling for communion, kneeling for reflection after communion. It brought me back to the ways of worship I was raised in. I don't think I'm supposed to fall back into our church norm. And really why do we let a man dictate how we worship? How is it that we become so oblivious to what we are actually doing in church? Curt and I have been watching the Bible Collections and I have noticed that almost everytime they are in the presence of the Lord they are on their knees, face to the floor. Who are we to think we can be on the same level of the creator of the universe? Or even attempt to be on a level to look in his face? I am so jealous you will be worshipping at New Grace for Easter. I will be thinking of you and pretending I am there. How funny do you think that will look to other people?