Thursday, May 19, 2011

I John 4:18

"There is no fear in love [dread does not exist], but full-grown (complete, perfect) love turns fear out of doors and expels every trace of terror! For fear brings with it the thought of punishment, and [so] he who is afraid has not reached the full maturity of love [is not yet grown into love's complete perfection]."

I read this a few days ago and I've been meditating on it. I've been confused over this line: "For fear brings with it the thought of punishment..." and I asked the Holy Spirit to teach me what it means and I think He has.

get not understanding love if I'm fearing punishment from God for myself. For most of my life, I've expected God's belt to hit me because I've messed up so many times. But I didn't understand what it meant in regard to others. But I think I get it now.

I remember praying with a woman for her husband.  He was in sin and estranged from his family.  We fully expected God to punish him--and, frankly, prayed for it!  But instead, we watched God pursue him with love.  That's when God revealed His longsuffering love to me.

And now He's teaching me that fear brings the thought of punishment...but love turns fear out of doors.  That's what I'm learning to do--turn fear out of doors.  "Perfect love casts out fear."  In turn, I'm coming to a new understanding of love.  I want to grow into love's complete perfection.

No comments: